Shifting from the comfort of your home to a hostel or a new flat can be intimidating. You realize the struggle of doing everything alone. As if studies, expenses, and laundry weren’t taxing enough, you also have to cook food that is hygienic and tasty.
If you are going to be on for own for quite some time, it wouldn’t hurt to know some healthy dormitory dishes to fall back on. Read on to learn how you can prepare a healthy, wholesome breakfast of Bread, Eggs and Soup, using only things that are allowed in your dorm room.
1. Seasonal vegetables of your choice: Carrots, Potatoes, Broccoli, Lettuce, Ginger, Capsicum, Onion, Tomatoes, Celery etc.
2. Water to boil
4.2 slices of bread
5. Butter to taste
6. Salt and pepper
1. Chop the vegetables into small pieces (smaller pieces cook fast and are easy to blend later.)
2. Put the chopped veggies into the electric kettle and add water just enough to submerge them.
3. Boil until the vegetables are sufficiently soft. It shouldn’t take more than three to five minutes.
4. Take the concoction out and blend into a smooth paste.
5. Meanwhile, put the raw eggs into the kettle and pour some more water.
6. Switch on the kettle and bring it to a boil. You know your eggs are done when the kettle switches off automatically.
7. Pour the blended soup into a bowl and add salt, pepper, seasoning and coriander. You can even add full-cream milk if you want.
8. Cut the hard-boiled eggs in half and add salt to taste.
9. Bring out the plates, butter your bread and enjoy your meal!
As you will come to realize, cooking in the dorm also saves you big bucks. It’s a win-win situation!