Gone are the days of using your food processor for making cookie dough and grinding nuts It’s all about innovative cooking now. Why shell out big bucks at an expensive restaurant when you can make the same mouthwatering dishes in the comfort of your home? These falafel stuffed pitas will give you the taste of high life and are the perfect option to impress someone with.
¼ cup breadcrumbs
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground red pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large egg
1 (15 ounce) can of chickpeas, drained
1 tbsp. olive oil
½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
4 6-inch pitas, cut in half
8 lettuce leaves
16 thin tomato slices
1. Prepare falafel by placing the breadcrumbs, cilantro, cumin, salt, red pepper, garlic and chickpeas in a food processor. Process the mixture till it turns smooth.
2. Take the mixture out and divide it into 16 equal parts. Press each part into a patty, about ¼th inch in thickness.
3. Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet on medium flame. Add the falafel patties and cook until they are brown on both sides.
4. Take them out and let them drain on a sheet.
5. Next put the yogurt, lemon juice and garlic clove in a large bowl and whisk the mixture.
6. Once the mixture is well-mixed, spread a layer of the yogurt sauce on the inside of the pita breads.
7. Then fill each pita bread with a leaf of lettuce, 2 tomato slices and 2 patties each.
Falafel stuffed pitas are easy to make and easy to eat as well. They do not make a big mess out of your dining table or sofa either. This is one dish that you can fall back on for any occasion. Now here is something that gives new meaning to the phrase ‘Happy Cooking’!