The combination of potatoes and cauliflowers has forever been applauded. This simple burger recipe is a scrumptious option if you are one of those who don’t mind spending a few minutes to prepare a healthy, tasty dish right at your home. Since you have to wait at the eatery anyways, why not take that time to save some bucks, right?
1 medium/ ½ small cauliflower head
1 large potato
¼ cup chopped onion
¾ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. rock salt
½ tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. whole coriander seeds
½ green chillifinely chopped or chilli flakes
1 medium tomato
2 cloves of garlic
½ inch ginger pulsed into a paste
Coarsely ground oats or breadcrumbs
A few tablespoons of organic canola oil
Cheese (Mozarella) or Mayonnaise
Tangy Mustard Sauce
Vegetable of choice for topping (cucumber, tomato, olives, lettuce etc.)
1. Start by grating the cauliflower and boiling the potatoes. Mash the potatoes once boiled.
2. Make the burger patties by mixing all the ingredients together. Do not add any water.
3. Taste the mixture and add salt and masala as per taste.
4. Then take a small amount of the mixture and start shaping it by placing it on your palm and patting it gently to form a circular tikkilike shape. You can use chickpea flour or coarsely ground oats to help make the mixture less dry. Do this step immediately after mixing.
5. In another plate, mix ½ cup of coarsely ground oats or breadcrumbs, ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. black pepper and ½ tsp. garlic powder.
6. Pat the patties on this mixture so that it is coated on both sides.
7. Place the patties on the grill till it has baked to a golden brown color.
8. Make sure to use more mashed potatoes and oats to make the patties sturdy and dry enough to grill. The advantage of using a grill is that it takes no oil and roasts the patties from the inside.
9. While the patties are grilling, prepare the buns by slightly toasting them on the inner side with the help of a drizzle of butter.
10. Once the patties are ready, put a layer of the mustard sauce on the inner side of the bottom bun and place the patty on top. You can choose to either grate some cheese on the patty or apply a layer of mayonnaise. Then place the cut vegetables and the top bun.
11. Your Cauli-tato burgers are now ready. Serve them with a spicy sauce and watch the compliments roll.
Use this recipe for quick bites in the office, evening snack, or even to pacify the kids when they are being stubborn. But be warned, everyone you feed this to, will get addicted and you will have to step into the kitchen more often now to make these!